Our client, a global provider of IT services, requires a Database Reliability Engineer- Oracle cloud migration with CI CD experience.
This is a 6 month temporary contract based in London with an immediate start. For the right candidate the contract could be extended further.
Candidates should have solid automation and Oracle cloud migration experience together with strong VBA and scripting (Shell and Perl) skills.
- Migrating existing on premise Oracle Database workloads (multi-terabyte databases) to Oracle DBCS and ensuring the cloud platform is engineered using "Infrastructure as Code" principles.
- Being responsible for the reliability and efficiency of database infrastructure through the delivery of common, repeatable tools and processes that greatly reduce the amount of toil the Database Operations team must perform.
Key Experience Required:
- Oracle cloud migration
- CI CD experience
- Responsible for:
- Writing software to make the database infrastructure self-managing and self-service.
- Automation and continuous service improvement by developing Infrastructure as Code.
- Elimination of manual, repetitive, automatable, tactical tasks that are devoid from value.
- Availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring and capacity planning.
- Improving system performance, making effective use of resources, distributing load and reducing latency.
- Identifying SLO's (Service Level Objectives) that align the team to meet availability and latency objectives.
- Developing pro-active monitoring solutions that alert on symptoms and not just on outages.
- Performing detailed root cause analysis (RCA's) on incidents and outages to prevent future occurrence.
- Partnering with development teams to improve services via rigorous testing and release procedures.
- Recommending query and schema changes to optimize the performance of database queries.
- Actively sharing database knowledge and best practices across the organisation.
- Identifying technical debt and partner with application teams to build remediation plans.
- Developing standard operational procedures and producing effective documentation
- Analysing workloads and devising suitable cloud migration strategies where appropriate.
- Evaluating open source alternatives to propriety RDBMS platforms such as Oracle, MSSQL and Sybase.
- Participating in On-Call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
- Performing the Database Operations function as and when required.
- Mentoring and developing less experienced DBA's and DBRE's.