Data/ Indexing Analyst - News and Media
Our client, a global leader in the media and tech industry, is seeking a highly motivated and technically astute fluent English and German language speaker to join a global team based in London, specialising in News and Media data research with a focus on developing highly configurable software products and the opportunity to develop skills within programming.
This is a permanent role with competitive salary and benefits and excellent career progression including numerous development and training opportunities that could lead to roles within research and development, programming and high level data analysis within a growing, global market.
Suitable applicants will have very strong written communication skills in both English and German, and exceptional reading comprehension, along with a passion for news, media, finance and technology. The ideal candidate will have a background in Linguistics, Library Science, Information Science, Knowledge Management, Statistics, Mathematics or Computational Linguistics but other disciplines will be considered.
Fluency in German to native level is essential, due to the nature of the work. And interest in languages and linguistics very highly regarded.
- Use specialised software for creating hierarchical rules in order to classify news stories that are being displayed on internal software
- Perform research in order to identify news topics which are relevant to the local markets and modify the classification rules accordingly
- Interact with other teams such as news, sales and R&D in order to better understand the market needs and help on improving the product
- Handle customer enquiries regarding the news product
- High level written and spoken English and German language skills, with exceptional reading comprehension and ability to quickly review complex and nuanced information.
- Curious about the world, reads the news, and particularly interested in economics, media, current affairs, linguistics and technology
- Technical aptitude and passionate about working in a data-oriented role, completing data research in a full-time capacity. Advanced Excel and some experience of basic programming required (Python, SQL, VBA, or the ability to learn).
- Statistics, Linguistics, Library Science, Information Science, Knowledge Management, Mathematics, Computational Linguistics, or similar relevant work experience
- Experience in using categorization, filtering or mining software, such as Verity or SAS, will be considered a plus
- Experience in using SQL will be considered a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Previous working experience or education relating to news research would be ideal
- Genuine commitment to this role and desire to progress
The successful applicants will receive world-class training and work in a complex and exciting global environment with a leading brand within the growing information, technology and finance industry.