Oracle and Sybase DBA/Engineer
Our client, a global provider of IT services, requires a Senior Database Engineer to support their clients' Trading system based in London.
You will work directly with all groups within the Trading division to achieve and deliver the best service for the client base. You will be part of a successful multi-skilled support team maintaining the client's order routing networks and the clients reputation for reliability to the world's largest professional trading community.
The successful candidate should have hands-on support experience within a fast-paced and dynamic environment from a Trading background and possess excellent organizational and collaboration skills
This is a temporary 6 months contract with an immediate start date.
- Accountable for identifying and mitigating risks to service delivery, proactively addressing, and resolving issues before they impact service levels.
- Interface daily with internal coverage & global support teams in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. There is considerable exposure to external trading clients too, and a key requirement is the ability to build strong user relationships.
- Proactively managing and monitoring client's environment, together with extensive problem identification, ownership, tracking, resolution and escalation.
- Managing system outages, direct activities of development and infrastructure teams to resolve production issues.
- Driving initiatives that continue to improve the availability, stability, and performance of the system.
- Working with developers on supportability designs, application optimization and performance tuning.
- Driving the improvement cycle from Operations back into development and vice versa.
- Leading regular problem analysis meetings with all parties involved in the delivery of application services to the client.
- Raising issues and seek advice from development teams/3rd Parties on sophisticated issues or problems in a timely manner.
- Collaborating closely with Account Managers to answer technical inquiries on the behaviour of the Trading systems.
- Executing database creation, configuration, upgrades, patches, refreshes and performance tuning
- Performing documented system builds and complying with release management, change management, configuration management, and quality assurance standards.
- Analysing Database Performance and suggest tuning tips to LOBs by providing ASH, AWR and ADDM reports after identifying performance blockers and waiters.
Key Skills/Experience required:
- Trading Basics, Trade Markets Overview, Various Asset Classes, Trading Front Office knowledge
- A detailed knowledge of Linux systems (e.g. RHEL, CentOS) with regular use of Linux command line
- Familiarity with Sybase and Mongo. Knowledgeable on maintaining SYBASE and MONGO dbs with scripting and db functions from creation to maintenance i.e. backups, alerts, corruption checks and index reorganizations, performance tuning
- Ability to create T-SQL and scripts
- Proficient with ORACLE NET services
- Basic knowledge of Linux/Unix, File system management, User administration
- Updating/creating Linux scripts in ksh/bash
- Experience on Perl, Python is preferred but not essential
- Ability to generate reports per request of clients
- Experience in providing L2 Application Production Support
- Oracle 9i/10g/11g/12c - proficient in building RAC environments, server migrations, built and maintain Dataguard and RMAN
- Experience with Oracle JOB Scheduler, queues, streams, RMAN and Replications is a must.
- Experinece in environments with ASM and non-ASM.
- Experience with end-to-end application support and troubleshooting with programs crossing the 3 database platforms.
- Experience with PL/SQL. Ability to read scripts and follow data flow.
- Working knowledge in upgrades and patch applications for ORACLE and SYBASE
- Working knowledge in opening SR and familiar with Metalink
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Degree level education in Computer Science or similar mathematically / logically-oriented subjects
- Familiarity with the concepts of daily change control / release cycle
- Ability to navigate through complex infrastructures independently, using a range of tools provided to investigate an issue
- Keenness to "own" side projects including building or improving support tools
- Basic knowledge of network routing concepts
- Application Containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Mongo scripting
- Experience with process schedulers (eg cron, FTP job schedulers)
- Experience working with Virtual Machines (eg OpenStack, vmware, kvm, xen)
- Experience with DevOps and concepts (eg Chef, Puppet, Github, Jenkins)
- Experience with monitoring, and alerting tools (eg ITRS, Nagios)
- Working knowledge with RUNDECK
- Autex experience an advantage