Senior Network Systems Support Engineer - (Network Security IS)
Our client, a global provider of IT services, requires a Senior Network Systems Support Engineer with experience of supporting a blue chip financial sector network covering EMEA.
You will be responsible for supporting Client EMEA network security and infrastructure, including planning, design, future development and deployment of solutions, plus all other aspects of network systems support.
We require candidates with experience of working within a Network Security team within a large multi-site, critical network environment with experience of CheckPoint, Palo Alto and Cisco ASA network security devices and next gen and virtual context firewalling.
This role is based in the city of London and will be a 6 month rolling temporary contract to start ASAP.
Subject Matter Expert (SME)
- To be the SME for network security infrastructure.
- To keep abreast of industry network security technological advancements.
- To advise on network systems and solutions that will benefit the client.
System Operation and Maintenance
- Install, maintain and upgrade network security devices.
- Install and maintain the Client firewall estate.
- Maintain network services, including supplier circuits and vendor services.
- Co-ordinate network service requests. Verify design and implement changes following the change control procedure.
- Maintain and create, where necessary, a full set of comprehensive network diagrams and documentation.
- Take ownership of network incidents and troubleshoot from first alert to resolution, liaising with users, internal teams, and vendors.
- Conduct project activities to specific timelines and deliver network project tasks and objectives assigned to the team.
- Assist with the support and maintenance of all other Network System Support duties.
Key Skills/Experience Required:
Essential Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Checkpoint, Palo Alto and Cisco ASA firewall configuration
- Threat defence
- Trouble shooting, monitoring and reporting tools
- Threat defence architectures
- Security architectures
- Network Address Translation
- VPN technologies
- Maintain and monitor network performance.
- Troubleshoot the network and able to drive problem resolution through the appropriate escalation channels.
- Being conversant with the latest network security thinking, technologies and polices and able to evaluate and understand new products within the department's scope.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and must be able to document and articulate to others key issues in the infrastructure arena.
- Able to confidently participate in white board type design and review sessions.
- Customer facing skills.
- Relevant Health and Safety, safety standards and manual handling.
- Record keeping.
Essential Experience Required:
- To have worked as part of a network security team within a large multi-site mission critical network environment.
- Experience of CheckPoint, Palo Alto and Cisco ASA network security devices.
- Experience of next generation and virtual context firewalling
- Experience of supporting a blue-chip financial sector network covering the EMEA region.
Essential Education / Qualifications Required:
- Minimum Secondary education
- Cisco professional level qualification.
- ITIL or Cobit Foundation
Essential Behaviour Competencies Required:
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritize work accordingly
- Strong decision-making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurized environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
- A confident approach, with the ability to provide clear direction
- A strategic approach
- The ability to articulate and implement the vision/strategy for the Network Team